Remember when you were little and everything seemed possible? You knew you’d be the first to find a real life unicorn. Or that you’d be a ballerina, mountain biker or someone who plays all day with dolphins. What happened?
When did you stop believing that everything was possible? When did everything become impossible?
I think it’s when you caught a case of O.P.E.’s.
The good news
O.P.E.’s are totally ignorable. There’s no reason to give them any thought because that’s what got you here in the first place. Once you stop worrying about this condition and just see it for what it is, you can move forward with what you once saw as impossible because of O.P.E.’s.
The bad news
If you don’t ignore O.P.E.’s they’ll take over your very soul. They’ll cause you to doubt your intuition, creativity and talents. Focusing on them will alter your life in ways you’d most likely not want to acknowledge publicly.
What are O.P.E.’s?
They are the energies that will:
- Compel a child to say they want to be a doctor, when they really want to be a unicorn
- Cause a teenager to study pre-law in college when they want to study anthropology
- Drive an adult to take a job because it pays more, when what they want is a more altruistic position that pays a lot less
- Create a version of a person you don’t recognize in your own mirror
- Kill creativity
- Stifle authenticity
- Strangle passion
- Dull your senses
O.P.E.’s are to be noticed then ignored if you want to live a deeply personal and fulfilled life.
O.P.E.’s are “Other People’s Expectations” and they’re toxic. Allowing yourself to let them take hold is a death sentence to your vision for your life.
How to counter O.P.E.’s
It’s not easy to ignore other people’s expectations of you, but it can become easier to wade through them. Not everyone’s expectations are important. So, here’s a list of ways to overcome this condition so you can move toward your dreams.
- Figure out what’s truly important to YOU
- Share yourself only with those who will encourage your efforts, dreams & hopes
- Decide how you want to move toward your vision and start on your way
- When faced with opposing O.P.E.’s, go back to #1
You get to live your life the way you want. Other people’s expectations come from their life experiences, their limitation and their fears. Their expectations have nothing to do with you.
Go live your dreams!